Jeremy and I have come to the conclusion that my left leg is definitely shorter than my right leg.
I started wondering about this a year or so ago when I was visiting my parents. Some men’s store was having a big sale, so my family got suits for my dad and both my brothers. They were having trouble with my dad’s suit because one of his legs was longer than the other, and I think they didn’t do the right leg or something. I’ve always said that I’ve gotten my bad feet from him, even though I don’t know if that’s The majority of my joint issues, from my jaw to my wrist down to my ankle, are all on my right side.
Also, the muscles in my left leg are bigger than my right (almost a 1/2” difference in my calves) even though I’m right-side dominant. It’s actually enough of a visible difference that my body-building brother-in-law once asked me if I was left handed because my left calf was bigger.
I tried measuring my legs myself a few weeks ago, but that’s pretty much impossible to do accurately. Jeremy and I were talking about this Friday night, and he said that he would give it a try.
The hardest part was trying to figure out where to start the measurements to make them accurate. We tried from the top of the hipbone on the outside down the leg, and he got that my right leg was 3/4” longer than my right. We knew it couldn’t be that much. We tried a different way, and it was around 1/2”, or maybe a little less. When I stood up with my feet right next to each other, I did notice that I leaned a bit to the left.
So now we’re going to try to figure out a way to add a bit of thickness in my shoes to see if that helps with my hip problem especially. Jeremy wants to buy some foam and make inserts ourselves.
Anyone else deal with this, or suspect that they do?
- ariavie answered: I have 1/2” difference and all injuries happen on my longer leg. Unless it is giving you grief, I wouldn’t do anything to change it.
- chrystidoeslife said: What do you call a woman with one leg longer than the other? …………….. Eileen. ;-) (My Grandma Eileen’s favorite joke)
- jeditrainingholocron answered: my husband and I have this a little bit when we need to go to the chiropractor cause our backs are out
- szeeee likes this
- findingmybalance-v2013 said: I am positive that I have the same thing when it comes to length but I’ve never thought of a way to compensate. My entire left side of my body is smaller in muscle/fat than my right.
- runwrite answered: It’s actually fairly common for people to have on leg longer than the other. Most people naturally compensate for the difference. Good luck!
- almightycolon answered: Me too! Sometimes I feel the difference when I’m running. My left leg has more muscle and my left hip tends to hurt.
- fossilizedtreesap16 answered: Do you have scoliosis? Because I do and that causes my hips/shoulders to be un even giving the illusion of longer/shorter limbs
- betternikki posted this